We are looking for 150 volunteers to assist in meeting the basic physical needs of Oakland University international students within 2 weeks of classes starting in early September 2017.
Within a 2 week period, our hope would be for you to assist students in the following ways:
- Help student find free furniture on www.internationaloasis.org, reserve it, and assist them in moving it into their apartment. (Delivery to the apartment provided by International Oasis.)
- Take students to the grocery store, so they can make their first food purchase.
- Take student to the gas station, to teach them how to work gas pumps and introduce them to convenience stores.
- Help them open a bank account if they do not already have them.
- Invite your student to a meal at your home. (Over 70% of international students never set foot in an American home during their time of study.)
- Inform them of how to go about getting an American driver’s license, as well as insurance regulations for driving. (And show them where Secretary of State so they know where to go, as well as how to get in line via text!)
- Show them where the hospital is, and how to call 911 in the event of an emergency (knowing their location, how to give directions, etc).
- Drive your student around the area, pointing out major local intersections and landmarks that will help them understand directions.
- Fill out a form provided by International Oasis that asks questions about these students’ priorities and dreams about experiencing American culture. Questions will ask where they want to travel, what their interests are, and a variety of other topics that help us plan events and experiences for them.